CalJunket

Sunday, June 08, 2003

Music of the Week

Most recent purchases
"McCartney," Paul McCartney. 1970. Paul's second solo work. Cute, folky, all-around enjoyable. Not terribly challenging, but who needs experimentation when you already know how to write great songs? Highlight tracks: Junk, Maybe I'm Amazed. I give it 3 out of 5 stars. (This scale is very stringent. I'm grading these selections relative to only those albums already in my CD collection or albums I wish were in my collection. Best o' the best. I'm not giving those five star-denotations away!)
"Bellybutton," Jellyfish. 1990. First of only two albums from this poppy hybrid between Queen, the Beatles, and the Partridge Family. They broke up too soon! Highlight tracks: Baby's Coming Back, Now She Knows She's Wrong. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recently Rediscovered From My CD Collection
"All Things Must Pass," Geroge Harrison. 1970. First solo Beatle to go #1 in the UK. Amazingly emotional and gentle at times, with some good rock grooves thrown in. It's a two-disk album, but to be honest I'm not too fond of the second disk. Harrison's musicianship and songwriting are remarkable, and make you reconsider the sidelined role he played while in the Beatles. So much heart without a drop of insincerity. Positive, optomistic lyrics. One of those albums that will affect me my entire life. Highlight tracks: All Things Must Pass, Apple Scruffs, My Sweet Lord (if just for the tear-wrenching slide guitar). 5 out of five stars (!!!).
"Pink Moon," Nick Drake. 1972. Don't let those stupid VW Cabrillo ads scare you away from a great album from a very strong artist. Very folky and soft, but with a lyrical and occasionally musical edge. Romantic without being sappy. Simple acoustic accompanyment for his unaffected voice. Highlight tracks: Parasite, From the Morning. 3.5 out of 5 stars.



Comments:

Post a Comment