CalJunket

Thursday, February 05, 2004

Dear New York Times,

I have been an avid reader of your editorial cartoons for quite some time now. I often read them from my computer with my morning breakfast. Today however, I saw something that greatly upset me though I hope it can be corrected.

The cartoon in question was drawn by Glenn McCoy who has dependably produced comics for your page since I first started reading. To put it quite bluntly, the comic fails to boost Republicans or conservatism. This alone would be bad enough but the comic doesn’t even manage to contain a mischaracterization of American or International politics. To me, this indicates that Glenn McCoy wasn’t even trying.

After the postwar situation in Iraq became grim and George W. Bush, who had previously spurned any kind of UN power-sharing, found himself desperately negotiating to bring the UN in, Glenn McCoy was there for us. In place of an ugly reality, he drew a picture of a muscle bound W. wrestling furiously with Saddam in a ring. In place of a reluctant and possibly hostile UN he drew a 98 pound weakling, begging to be “tagged in”. That’s what we followers of Glenn McCoy want to see; not reality but “reality”.

This most recent cartoon comes on the heels of a series of cartoons making fun of Bush for not being conservative enough. That kind of thing is ok, in moderation, but frankly, I want to see some good old fashioned falsehoods of the “plausible deniability” kind. Remember, saying it in drawings means you can never be called on a lie, and the way things are going, the only place for decent conservative lies will soon be the cartoon panels where no one can attack them. Liberals have Ted Rall, we want our Glenn McCoy.

Thank you.



Comments:

Post a Comment