CalJunket

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Remember when The Simpsons was poignant and clever instead of just absurd and loud?

After graduation this May I will most likely begin the steps necessary to becoming a teacher. I am looking to earn my single-subject credential (math or literature - I'm not sure yet) concurrently with a Master's Degree. Part of my interest in teaching originates from my appreciation of people in the profession (most notably my mother and uncle) who genuinely care about students' well being. I would like to teach in what the industry calls an"underperforming" (read "poor") school; I feel that's where my roots and emotions lay. Having attended this type of school through seventh grade, and having had so many teachers who were actively invested in their students' lives, and conversely having endured so many teachers who didn't give a flying fuck, I've come to believe that I'm capable of being the former kind of teacher. This may just be a manifestation of "liberal guilt" (bah!) coupled with unmitigated conceit, but I'm certain I'd be a damn good teacher to "underperforming" students. My mother, who teaches kindergarten to the poorest of the poor in Long Beach, has repeatedly been told by her peers that she should teach middle-class students instead because she'd make more money and wouldn't have to deal with as much strife (such as having people on crack coming to pick up their kids). Instead, she feels that her experience and talent is more useful where she is.

Anyhow, this is just a very lengthy and unfunny way of introducing one of my favorite quotes from one of my top five favorite episodes of The Simpsons. (I am Rebecca C. Brown.)

"That's the problem with being middle class. Anybody who really cares will abandon you for those who need it more."




Comments:

Post a Comment