CalJunket

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I Oppose the Legalization of Torture

The original title for this post was going to be "Standing up for America's values". I decided against it because I've heard all those different words misused so many times I want to let them rest, even if it means giving them a Sunday when legitimate work calls.

What does America mean if we don’t follow our own constitution? I don’t know. I don’t really know what the point of having America would be if we could just disregard our founding principals at the bidding of a single politician. It’s all very confusing and that’s why I’m confused that Republicans are nominating Alberto Gonzalez as Attorney general.

Torture doesn’t work. All scientific evidence shows that. It corrupts the torturers soul and when legally recognized, the torturer’s country. It spits on the bill of rights and the limitation on the government. It has lead to many gruesome deaths of innocent Iraqi (who would otherwise have been allies) and the sexual molestation of children and women. This stuff is wrong. And if we don’t stand up against the guy who tried to hem and haw and tried to appeal to “the power inherent in the president to set aside laws in a time of war” then we have no right calling ourselves Americans.

This shouldn't be a partisan issue. Everyone should be on board with this.



Comments:

Post a Comment